"The child deserves legal representation, Your Honor."
"You're asking me to spend more tax dollars without good cause."
The judge told me the home study was flawless. Then, he ruled that Nathan would be turned over to his grandparents.
the backpack. I could hardly speak because my emotions were getting in the way.
Nathan was our foster son. We were bonded with this baby boy. Soon after we got him, our case worker told us that we would be able to adopt him. We had him since he was about one month old. Now, our dreams were crushed. We were crushed.
Jill stayed home with Daniel and Nathan that day while I went to court to ask the judge to assign a guardian ad litem. It seemed only fair that he should have an attorney who was looking out for his best interest. It was a conflict, in my opinion, to allow either the state's attorney or the family's attorney to represent him. And all the judge had for me was, "spend more tax dollars."
We were hurt, and not sure that we even wanted to continue fostering kids.
A few weeks later, another case worker, Sharon Smallwood, came by to check on us. We unloaded on her. We told her how we'd been lied to about adopting Nathan, and how the judge was unfair, how hurt we were. But, she was sweet and took it all in. She said she didn't blame us for feeling that way. It helped a little.
We had no way of seeing where this painful experience would lead. We weren't expecting it to lead any where at all. But it did; it lead to Tucker.
In the days ahead, I hope to share with you how this painful experience marked the beginning of The Brasfield Nation.
Stay tuned to the 40 Day Project.
P.S. By the way. Nathan turned out okay, too. Thank God.
- Day 40 of #40Days - Life, as it Happens.
- Day 39 of #40Days - The Chase
- Day 38 of #40Days - Letter From Jill
- Day 37 of #40Days - Happy All the Time.
- Day 36 of #40Days - Highly Favored.
- Day 35 of #40Days - prison babies.
- Day 34 of #40Days - Prayer Request
- Day 33 of #40Days - Once a Brasfield...
- Day 32 of #40Days - Altered State of Consciousness...
- Day 31 of #40Days - Guest Post by Jilly.
- Day 30 of #40Days - Snatched
- Day 29 of #40Days - The Chair
- Day 28 of #40Days - Little miracles.
- Day 27 of #40Days - "I want bawoooony and keppup."...
- Day 26 of #40Days - Where is her face?!?!
- Day 25 of #40Days - "Wonder Boy"
- Day 24 of #40Days - Right on time.
- Day 23 of #40Days - "WE'RE HAVING A BABY!"
- Day 22 of #40Days - Can we love them?
- Day 21 of #40Days - It turned pink.
- Day 20 of #40Days - He remembers how bad it tasted...
- Day 19 of #40Days - God smiled on us.
- Day 18 of #40Days - "Where'd you get that? Morrist...
- Day 17 of #40Days - The Days Ahead
- Day 16 of #40Days - "Silent Night, Deadly Night"
- Day 15 of #40Days - Legacy
- Day 14 of #40Days - Paradise Lost
- Day 13 of #40Days - "This is bigger than us."
- Day 12 of #40Days - Safety First
- ▼ September (29)
- ► 2010 (35)
- ► 2009 (23)