Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Day 10 of #40Days - It's only the beginning.

I went to Jill's house to wake her. "Jill. Wake up. We need to get married today."

It was Dec 22, 1987.

We had planned to get married the next day, Dec 23.  But I was offered an interview on the 23rd and couldn't get it any other day.  It wasn't that I didn't have a job. But I had the opportunity at a much better job.

We called a few friends together and hustled to the courthouse where the justice of the peace was on duty. Jill wore a beautiful dress from her closet. I wore my best suit. I wrote a ten dollar check to the justice of the peace. We just didn't have much to spare.

Then Jill dropped me off at work.  I was late to my first job of the day, as Santa in the mall. My boss didn't take me serious on my excuse, until I showed her my wedding ring.  My second job of the day was selling shoes at Kinney's. After the mall closed, my third job of the day was to make an appearance as Santa at a company party, also in the mall.

Our wedding day wasn't like most.  But our marriage is now in its twenty third year. We started out as two young people in love and trying to do the right thing.  We've built a loving relationship filled with life and joy.

We've endured some hard times and some dark days. But rather than being driven apart, we have held more tightly to one another.

Our success has not been of our own ability. We've leaned on the Lord. Without God's help, we would have fallen apart. I am thankful for His blessings.  And I am thankful for my Jilly.

 Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh. 

I love you, Jilly.

Dadofmykids

PS.  This is post #10 of 40.  Learn more here.

No comments:

Search This Blog

Followers

Blog Archive